Your browser version is outdated. We recommend that you update your browser to the latest version.

WMBFB Minutes Archive

 

2011

January 2011

March 2011

April 2011

May 2011

June 2011 

         

WELLINGTON MILLS BUSH FIRE BRIGADE

 

MINUTES OF MEETING  Monday 2nd May

 

MEETING OPENED-7.30pm

 

PRESENT- Sherryl McDonald, Stuart Brandreth, Ian Barlow,Eric Jorgensen, Graeme Hill, Karen Jorgensen

 

APOLOGIES-Lyndy Scott, Rob Watkins, Simon Wesley

 

MINUTES OF PREVIOUS MEETING

 

Accepted by Ian and Rob.

 

 

BUSINESS ARISING FROM PREVIOUS MEETING-

  1. Uniforms- email received from Phil Rowe rejecting request. Wellington Mills is spending more than any other brigade on uniforms.

Eric spoke with Phil Rowe : he will accept anyone who is 50 or over who has attended more than two fires as being a viable member.

Suggestion raised that former members no longer in the brigade be contacted and asked if they could return their uniforms although. there are some absentee owners with a history with the fire brigade and still have their uniforms who would still attend a fire.graeme raised issue that volunteers cannot enter truck or attend fire without appropriate personal protection gear.

  1. re phones and pagers-ongoing discussion with Phil Rowe. Nothing can be done about phones but they are trying to arrange pagers.
  2. Eric has completed and submitted fire attendance paperwork .
  3. Ian has received notification that we have three weeks in which to spend funds. Suggestion from Graeme that full face respirators be purchased; also a separate suction line not off of truck
  4. Eric has an FCO Advisory meeting on Wednesday. Rob suggested that Ian prepare dot points for Eric to take to meeting to be addressed with regards to above issues. This was seconded by Bernie.
  5. Redback bombs- have been purchased by Ian and will be set off at completion of  meeting.
  6. Tank- doral are meeting on Thursday with  WMCA. Await outcome.
  7. Whiteboard- has been erected on front of shed by Rob. Graeme suggests that when the call comes for a fire that the incident number be recorded on the board or somewhere in the shed.

 

 

CORRESPONDENCE IN

Ian received notification form the shire that the fire and emergency levy of $2873 was to be spent within three weeks dated from April 20th.

 

 

CORRESPONDENCE OUT

Nil

 

TREASURERS REPORT

Payment to Terry O.Connor  of $394

$1716 uncommitted

$20 owing to Eric ( fittings for pump on truck)

$30 owing to Ian  (insect bombs)

 

FESA TRAINING

Nil to report

 

WELLINGTON MILLS COMMUNITY ASSOCIATION REPORT

Nil

 

CAPTAINS REPORT

FESA would like brigades to create a fire risk register ie. map fire risk within their area . this will assist in planning to deal with fuel loads and strategise fire response. Rob reported that at present there is no help forthcoming from the shire with regards to getting this set up.

There has been request from resident re roadside burning. This can be done as a training exercise. The shire rangers are willing to assist with roadside signage. Grass reduction spraying along roadsides could be carried out by the brigade or perhaps the shire.

 Eric to talk to Rod Bailey at FCO advisory meeting re roadside burning on the Wellington Millls road.

 

FCO REPORT

Restricted burning remains in place until 20th May.

Rob and Eric attended a car fire at the gravel pit on Pile Rd

Fire at Benger- Wellington Mills was not required to attend.

DEC are doing controlled burns at present.

FCO Advisory meeting is Wednesday 4th May.

Still waiting on the season to break before servicing the truck

The rumour about the truck being confiscated and replaced with a smaller unit has not been substantiated.

 

 

GENERAL BUSINESS

Discussion about a roster system to ensure that volunteers are available for the high fire season was initiated by Stuart. The general feeling was that it would be a good idea but difficult to manage.

 

The Wellington Mills Bush Fire Brigade  AGM to be held at the next community sundowner on Friday May 27th.

 

 

                                    WELLINGTON MILLS BUSH FIRE BRIGADE

 

MINUTES OF MEETING   July 11th 2011

 

MEETING OPENED- 7.30pm

 

PRESENT-Chris Richards, Eric Jorgensen, Karen Jorgensen, Ian Barlow Lyndy Scott Rob Doherty, Mike De Nicholi s

 

APOLOGIES- nil

 

MINUTES OF PREVIOUS MEETING

Read and accepted -Ian Barlow Eric Jorgensen

 

BUSINESS ARISING FROM PREVIOUS MEETING-

  1. Uniforms - the order has been completed.  Information from FESA regarding volunteers sharing orders - has never happened before and is a Dardanup Shire exclusive directive.

            The question was raised  that  as the uniforms are specifically treated, how long        do they remain effective  for and should they be replaced after a specific interval.

  1. the FCO is to attend a  "hazards perception meeting" on July 20th. As Rob has already been following up on this Eric will try to arrange for Rob to attend the meeting. Rob has emailed Chris Widmer re the fire risk register but he is no longer involved. Email to Steve Ward is still waiting for response.
  2. Several residents attended  the training session on the weekend.
  3. re tank - the Doral grant pledged will not cover anything towards tank. Karen has looked into grants- currently almost all applications for this year  closed  in March.

 

CORRESPONDENCE IN

  1. Notification for nominations for firefighting awards -closes July 22nd
  2. FESA information re BUSHFIRE READY groups
  3. Notification of Special General Meeting of the Association of Volunteer Bush Fire Brigades of Western Australia to be held on July 30th at Burswood, Perth
  4. Email from Rob Doherty to Chris Widmer re bushfire risk register.
  5. email from Chris Widmer to Rob Doherty re bushfire risk register

 

CORRESPONDENCE OUT

nil

 

TREASURERS REPORT

 

Report submitted.

Outstanding p-payment to mike de Nicholis for camera $340

 

 

FESA TRAINING

Several attended the training on the weekend  2nd and 3rd July

 

WELLINGTON MILLS COMMUNITY ASSOCIATION REPORT

Meeting with Doral resulted in $5000 grant- considerably less than asked for.

 

CAPTAINS REPORT

As per email to Chris Widmer. Nil advance on the bushfire register

 

FCO REPORT

Eric attended fire call for Pile Rd- was an under control burning off.

Meeting on july 20th re hazard breakdown - will organise for Rob to attend as he has already been following up on this

Meeting at Burswood July 29th 30th and 31st. Eric and Kingsley Palmer to attend.

 

GENERAL BUSINESS

Nil

 

MEETING CLOSED

8.15pm

 

NEXT MEETING

Monday  5th  September 2011

 

WELLINGTON MILLS BUSH FIRE BRIGADE

 

MINUTES OF MEETING  September 5th 2011

 

MEETING                                   

OPENED- 7.35pm

 

PRESENT-Bernie Dowley,Eric Jorgensen, Karen Jorgensen, Lyndy Scott, Ian Barlow, Rob Doherty

 

APOLOGIES- Rob Watkins

 

MINUTES OF PREVIOUS MEETING

Accepted by; Eric and Ian

 

BUSINESS ARISING FROM PREVIOUS MEETING-

Uniforms- Karen to follow up re washing of uniforms

 

CORRESPONDENCE IN

Fesa levy budget - copy submitted

Dardanup store account

 

CORRESPONDENCE OUT

Ian has submitted an application for funding of a tank, pipes and pump from the Western Power grant

 

TREASURERS REPORT

Report tabled

Net cash cashflow for year to date $336.20

Total cash position $1385.29

 

FESA TRAINING Lyndy Scott

16 people booked for training

Next course 17th and 18th September

Participants from July course haven't received certificates

Plan discussed to implement hands on training day for new recruits

  • - conduct verge burning
  • - use of radios; filling of truck ( fast fill and draught)
  • - let community know of plan and confirm date closer to when weather conditions favourable ( tentative date -3rd Saturday in October)

 

WELLINGTON MILLS COMMUNITY ASSOCIATION REPORT    Ian Barlow

Trees have been planted

 

CAPTAINS REPORT    Rob Doherty

Fire risk register  ( Bushfire mitigation program )- Rob attended meeting July

  • - there are 6 officers delegated statewide ( our region - Steve Ward )

-  Wellington Mills and Dardanup West to be used as pilots for the program

  • - Shire is happy to provide signage and assistance for spring burns -contact Phil Rowe
  • - aim is to ‘reduce the risk of bushfire events in communities'

 

FCO REPORT  Eric Jorgensen

Eric attended FESA conference in Perth July 30. 31st and Aug 1st

Covered multiple issues  and acknowledged  there is much to be addressed including better communications and  implications of  worksafe regulations.

 

GENERAL BUSINESS

Nil

 

MEETING CLOSED

8.15pm

 

NEXT MEETING

Monday 3rd October 

                                    WELLINGTON MILLS BUSH FIRE BRIGADE

 

MINUTES OF MEETING  Monday 10th October 2011

 

MEETING OPENED- 7.30pm

 

PRESENT-Bernie Dowley, Rob Doherty, Eric Jorgensen, Karen Jorgensen, Ian Barlow, Mike De Nicolis

 

APOLOGIES-  Lyndy Scott,  Shaun Johnson

 

MINUTES OF PREVIOUS MEETING

Accepted: Ian and Eric

 

BUSINESS ARISING FROM PREVIOUS MEETING-

Western Power grant has been approved for $4560

Ian will follow up with Les at the Dardanup store to work out the final details

Need to work out where the pad will be

 

Uniforms:- the suppliers of the uniforms have sent an information sheet on washing them

 

Certificates for new recruits: these are needed so we can order uniforms .

 

Eric spoke with phil Rowe re the maintenance account. They have authorised the transfer of $900 into the uniform account from the maintenance account. Ian will confirm with Christine from the shire.

 

Verge burning: the shire want a weeks notice to organise signage.

 

Fire risk register: nil to update

 

 

CORRESPONDENCE IN

Letter of confirmation of grant from Western Power

 

CORRESPONDENCE OUT

Ian will send thank you to Western Power

 

TREASURERS REPORT

Report submitted. - total $1387

 

FESA TRAINING

Nil reported

 

WELLINGTON MILLS COMMUNITY ASSOCIATION REPORT

Waiting on further input re the shelter. Continuing to maintain the trees.

CAPTAINS REPORT

Nil to report

 

 

FCO REPORT

Eric met with Phil at the shire.- clothing issue allocation was increased.

Roadside burning:-need to determine  time and where. Suggested; from gnomesville back towards the fireshed

                          Eric and Rob to check it out.

                          Maybe too wet on October 22nd

Phone not working- needs to be addressed ASAP

Need to clean up outside the shed. Eric to speak to shire re having contractor to do same

Camera is coming

Solar light is broken. We can get one with a motion sensor that will shine on the keypad.

Eric will speak to Lyndy re list of volunteers able to drive the truck

The whiteboard has deteriorated. There is another in the old fireshed that can be swapped.

Need whiteboard markers.

 

 

GENERAL BUSINESS

Ian will contact DEC to query about burning up behind his and Robs places.

Has there  been any information re burning of Davis block?

 

FESA levy- how many uniforms can we get for the allocation?

 

 

MEETING CLOSED

8.05pm

 

NEXT MEETING

Monday 7th November 

                                    WELLINGTON MILLS BUSH FIRE BRIGADE

 

MINUTES OF MEETING  7th November 2011

 

MEETING OPENED- 7.30pm

 

PRESENT-  Eric Jorgensen Rob Doherty Ian Barlow Karen Jorgensen Lyndy Scott

 

APOLOGIES-Nil

 

MINUTES OF PREVIOUS MEETING

Accepted Eric and Ian

 

BUSINESS ARISING FROM PREVIOUS MEETING-

Prescribed burn along Wellington Mills road was attended by 10 brigade members -several new recruits. Successful  burn.  Will try to organise another for other end of Wellington Mills road.

 

CORRESPONDENCE IN

Invitation to" Thank a Volunteer " day. December 5th - to be emailed to brigade members.

Notice Of AGM to be held at Belmont

 

CORRESPONDENCE OUT

Ian has written "thank you' to Western power.

 

TREASURERS REPORT

Report submitted

Total cash position $1389.47

At previous meeting it was reported that the clothing allocation had been increased by transferring some of the maintenance budget to clothing. Unfortunately the order for the last lot of clothing has been taken from this budget instead of last years, so we're no better off.

Grant from Western Power not yet through.

Steel tank decided upon.

Ian will order the other associated equipment. Sand has already been delivered. Rob will organise placement of sand.

 

FESA TRAINING

Maybe looking to do one more training for this year.

 

WELLINGTON MILLS COMMUNITY ASSOCIATION REPORT

Whipper snippering has been done

Tree suckers to be sprayed

Concern about trees on bend with white ants. Could co-ordinate removal when shire do road.

CAPTAINS REPORT

Rob attended the FCO meeting.

There were a huge number of recommendations out of the Kelty report

Fire mitigation strategy- apparently both Wellington mills and west Dardanup invited to attend but there was a no show from either brigade. Lyndy unaware it was to take place and will follow up communication with shire.

Attempt to extend the fire burning season was rejected.

 

FCO REPORT

Prescribed burn well attended. Signage was provided by the shire. No problems encountered.

Rob and Eric will meet with Steve Ward  from FESA, on Friday with regards to the fire mitigation strategy.

Camera to be fitted to truck to allow visual of members on back of truck.

Phone in shed still

 

GENERAL BUSINESS

Xmas get together still to be held at Rourkes.

 

MEETING CLOSED

8.15pm

 

NEXT MEETING

Monday 5th December 

                                    WELLINGTON MILLS BUSH FIRE BRIGADE

 

MINUTES OF MEETING  Monday 5th December

MEETING OPENED-7.30pm 

 

PRESENT- Ian Barlow Bernie DowleyGraham Hill Rob Doherty Eric Jorgensen Karen Jorgensen

 

APOLOGIES-Lyndy Scott Rob Watkins Simon Wesley

 

MINUTES OF PREVIOUS MEETING

Accepted Ian and Eric

 

BUSINESS ARISING FROM PREVIOUS MEETING-

1. shire has provided sand for tank base. The sand still needs to be screed. Ian and Bernie have offered to do this. The shire will do the trench when the tank is in place.

2. The grant is thru from Western Power

3.Annual levy- we need to plan ahead for expenditure so that all of levy is used and not lost!

4. uniforms need to order 3 sets.

 

.CORRESPONDENCE IN

Letter from Western Power confirming grant of $ 4560

Correspondence from the shire; any outgoing expenses of greater than $ 1000 must have 2 quotes.

 

CORRESPONDENCE OUT

Thank you letter from Ian to Western Power

 

TREASURERS REPORT

Report submitted

Total cash position $5951.25

 

 FESA TRAINING

Nil to report

 

WELLINGTON MILLS COMMUNITY ASSOCIATION REPORT

Received a grant of $1900 to buy tools.

 

CAPTAINS REPORT

Rob and Steve Ward ( FESA) spent three hours touring the district assessing fire risk areas re the fire mitigation plan. Mr Ward was quite alarmed by the fuel loads present. Major areas of concern were the Davis block near Ians property, Kingtree road Southroad near Vicki Campbell's block. He will construct a report and contact key stakeholders. Mr ward was pleased with the burn at Gnomesville.

FCO REPORT

1.Crew from Wellington Mills attended the fire at Nannup over two days.

2.The DEC map book has been located and is now in the truck.

3.the camera has been fitted to the truck

4. solar sensor light has been fitted by door of shed to enable keypad illumination

5.could Rob contact David Doherty to make a strainer for the pickup on the pump

6.phone is not working in the fireshed again

7. would brigade members be happy to provide work numbers for daytime contact as often mobiles not on or accessible?

8.the pagers are no longer working. Currently using SMS text. The shire were unaware that there is insufficient mobile phone coverage in the Wellington mills area for this to work.

 

GENERAL BUSINESS.

1.Royalty for regions has been contacted and wellington mills is now on the black list. Ian will email Rob Quinn at the shire to follow up with the mobile phone/ SMS contact problem

2.Rob thanked Graham for the work he had done on the truck

3.bug fuel containers have been filled

4.Eric suggested that another jerry can be purchased for fuel for the pump. Ian will contact the Dardanup store for this.

5.Ian raised the question of how do we know if a total fire ban is in place. Total firebans are announced on the ABC radio. Contact shire.

6. Bernie resigned as chairperson

7. xmas party will be held at the Rourkes Sun 18th

 

MEETING CLOSED

8.15pm

 

NEXT MEETING 

                                    WELLINGTON MILLS BUSH FIRE BRIGADE

 

MINUTES OF MEETING  Monday  January 9th 2012

 

MEETING OPENED-  7.35pm

 

PRESENT- Rob Doherty, Ian Barlow, Chris Richards, Bernie Dowley, Simon Arlington, Eric Jorgensen

 

APOLOGIES- Lyndy Scott, Karen Jorgensen, Simon Wesley

 

MINUTES OF PREVIOUS MEETING

Accepted: Ian Barlow , Bernie Dowley

 

BUSINESS ARISING FROM PREVIOUS MEETING-

1. Tank instalment ongoing. Ian and Bernie managing same. Will recruit help as needed

2. uniforms - Ian will follow up inventory on what is still required

 Suggestion to buy storage boxes  to organise uniforms, gloves goggles etc- Ian will follow up

 

CORRESPONDENCE IN

nil

 

CORRESPONDENCE OUT

nil

 

TREASURERS REPORT

Report submitted

 

 FESA TRAINING

Nil to report

 

WELLINGTON MILLS COMMUNITY ASSOCIATION REPORT

Nil to report

 

CAPTAINS REPORT

Rob reported on FCO SW preseason meeting

 

FCO REPORT

Eric thanked members who responded to recent call outs. Eric away 16th -24th January. Rob to be acting FCO

 

GENERAL BUSINESS.

Nil to report

 

 

MEETING CLOSED

8.30pm

 

NEXT MEETING

Monday  6th February 7.30pm 

                                    WELLINGTON MILLS BUSH FIRE BRIGADE

 

MINUTES OF MEETING  Monday  January 9th 2012

 

MEETING OPENED-  7.35pm

 

PRESENT- Rob Doherty, Ian Barlow, Chris Richards, Bernie Dowley, Simon Arlington, Eric Jorgensen

 

APOLOGIES- Lyndy Scott, Karen Jorgensen, Simon Wesley

 

MINUTES OF PREVIOUS MEETING

Accepted: Ian Barlow , Bernie Dowley

 

BUSINESS ARISING FROM PREVIOUS MEETING-

1. Tank instalment ongoing. Ian and Bernie managing same. Will recruit help as needed

2. uniforms - Ian will follow up inventory on what is still required

 Suggestion to buy storage boxes  to organise uniforms, gloves goggles etc- Ian will follow up

 

CORRESPONDENCE IN

nil

 

CORRESPONDENCE OUT

nil

 

TREASURERS REPORT

Report submitted

 

 FESA TRAINING

Nil to report

 

WELLINGTON MILLS COMMUNITY ASSOCIATION REPORT

Nil to report

 

CAPTAINS REPORT

Rob reported on FCO SW preseason meeting

 

FCO REPORT

Eric thanked members who responded to recent call outs. Eric away 16th -24th January. Rob to be acting FCO

 

GENERAL BUSINESS.

Nil to report

 

 

MEETING CLOSED

8.30pm

 

NEXT MEETING

Monday  6th February 7.30pm